Monday, April 30, 2007

Training Challenges

Let me share something with you; lately I've been having difficulties completing my own workouts. I registered to run a half-marathon in June, but have stalled in my running because, frankly, it's hard, and I don't really like to run unless I'm already running. I mean, if I'm not 2 miles into a run, I really don't have any interest in running. Sort of problematic!

The other issue I'm facing now is that I am having difficulty with keeping my energy up in the gym. This really ticks me off, because exercise has been a cornerstone of my life since I was eleven years old. So it becomes a vicious cycle of going to the gym, throwing in a half-a**ed workout, and leaving felling unfulfilled and depressed, which saps my drive for the next workout.

There are days, though,that all the stars are aligned and I have a good session. Last Saturday's session included Chain flyes, Olympic deadlifts, chain pullups, heavy bag lunges, and some barbell push presses. I finished, felt great, and left the gym, then did nothing else all weekend. The rest of Saturday was great, emotionally, because I felt as if I was ready to get back on track, then I skipped my run Sunday, and, despite setting aside time today to train, I blew it off. Granted, I have time later today to do it, but emotionally, the drive just isn't there right now.

So, what do you do when you lose motivation? I'm open to suggestions!

No comments: